If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident, and you sustained an injury, it is important that you take the following steps immediately after the collision:
- Report the incident to the police and complete a collision report – make sure that you provide all the relevant information;
- Exchange your contact and insurance information with all the relevant parties to the collision;
- If possible, take pictures of the accident;
- You should seek medical help immediately after the collision, and
make sure that your injuries are documented; and
- You should seek legal advice.
An insurance adjuster may contact you after the collision. It is in their best interest to settle your claim for your injuries as quickly as possible. You do not have to provide them with any information. If you do provide information to the insurance adjuster, it could be used against you.
You should seek legal counsel before making a decision to settle your claim with an insurance adjuster. It could take days, weeks, or months after the collision before you can assess the extent of the injuries you sustained as a result of the accident, and a lawyer could help you ascertain the value of your claim. It is important to seek legal advice because your claim may be worth much more than what is being offered to you by an insurance adjuster.
Contact our office today to find out if you have a valid claim.